George Hawkins, CEO and General Manager of DC Water, joins The Water Values Podcast and discusses his brand of change leadership. George details specific examples of his leadership style and how he approached his position when first joining DC Water. George also relates stories on how water utilities can interact with their customers and their governing boards. Finally, George offers his thoughts on the 3 biggest issues facing water utilities and their leaders today. This is a can’t miss episode.
In this session, you’ll learn about:
- George’s background and how he came to believe that water is at the core of environmental issues
- George’s brand of change leadership
- What George brings to work every day
- How George approached his job when new at DC Water
- George’s experiences the first 30 days at DC Water
- Why utilities need to take advantage of media exposure, even when the coverage involves a negative event for the utility
- Innovative programs DC Water runs to increase customer and employee engagement
- The relationship between DC Water and its Board
- The 3 issues George believes are most pressing in the water utility industry
Resources and links mentioned in or relevant to this session include:
- DC Water’s website
- George Hawkins’ website
- DC Water’s Twitter Handle
- George Hawkins’ Twitter Handle
- John Lisle’s Twitter Handle
- Lucy Diggs Slowe Twitter Handle (i.e., one of DC Water’s Tunnel Boring Machines)
- Session 52 of The Water Values Podcast: The Story behind Tampa Bay Water with the Honorable Susan Latvala, former Pinellas County Commissioner
Click here to download the Transcript for Session 60 of The Water Values Podcast.
Thanks to each of you for listening and spreading the word about The Water Values Podcast! Keep the emails coming and please rate and review The Water Values Podcast on iTunes and Stitcher if you haven’t done so already. And don’t forget to tell your friends about the podcast and whatever you do, don’t forget to join The Water Values mailing list!