Head of investment banking firm Blue Star Capital, Jud Hill has spent his career exploring the smartest and most innovative ways to invest in the water sector – and why water is such a unique commodity. Jud discusses the growing trend in water equities and what opportunities are on the horizon for investors.
In this session, you’ll learn about:
- Why there is a disconnect in the public’s perception that water is a free commodity
- How the public views water as a commodity and necessity
- How the industry is looking to package the value of water utilities in the clearest terms for investors
- Opportunities for investing in the water space
- The water value chain and what it means to investors
- The water investment cycle
- Why the water investment cycle is longer than found in the traditional private equity
- The status of technology industry for converting black water to energy
- Why great technologies sometimes die on the vine
- How private capital looks to get into the infrastructure and technology side of water
- How water rights are impacting land investment and permitting requirements
- Important considerations for maximizing water asset value
- Price inelasticity issues with water
- Difficulties that market fragmentation could bring to investing in water
- Ways to invest in new water treatment technologies
- What makes a good investor in the water sector
- Why Jud believes picking people over technologies produces the best investments
- The difficulties investors have in convincing potential deployment sources for capital to partner with the investors
Resources and links mentioned in or relevant to this session include:
Click here to download the Transcript for Session 45 of The Water Values Podcast.
Thanks to each of you for listening and spreading the word about The Water Values Podcast! Keep the emails coming and please rate and review The Water Values Podcast on iTunes and Stitcher if you haven’t done so already. And don’t forget to tell your friends about the podcast and whatever you do, don’t forget to join The Water Values mailing list!