In the fifth session of The Water Values Podcast, I welcome John Entsminger, the new General Manager of the Southern Nevada Water Authority. John was very generous with his time and shared a tremendous amount of his knowledge about the Colorado River and a lot of information about water conservation, water rate design and water infrastructure projects in Southern Nevada. He provided a fantastic interview and displayed great knowledge of water conservation and related water utility issues and Colorado River governance. His remarks on the future of water on the Colorado River are must-listen material.
In this Session, You’ll Learn about:
- The Southern Nevada Water Authority as an entity, its powers and duties
- The population growth in Southern Nevada and its impact on water use
- Water conservation programs, both indoor and outdoor, in Southern Nevada
- The manner in which infrastructure improvements were funded prior to and after the “Great Recession”
- The citizen-involved process through which the funding mechanisms were established
- Governance of the Colorado River
- The coordination and shortage sharing mechanisms currently in place on the Colorado River
- John Entsminger’s outlook on the future of the Colorado River and water use
- The “Third Straw” infrastructure project in Lake Mead
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Session Include:
- The 1922 Colorado River Compact
- The 2007 Interim Guidelines for Lower Basin Shortages and Coordinated Operations for Lake Powell and Lake Mead
- Minute 318 of the International Boundary and Water Commission
- Minute 319 of the International Boundary and Water Commission
- Southern Nevada Water Authority’s website
- Southern Nevada Water Authority on Twitter: @SNWA_H2O
Click here to download the Transcript for Session 5 of The Water Values Podcast.
I cannot overstate how thankful I am for all of your feedback and support! Thanks so much!