Doug Hatler of Fracta, Inc., discusses artificial intelligence and machine learning for water water utilities. Doug identifies how the AI and ML capabilities work, where we are on the adoption scale, and many more fascinating issues in how water utilities embrace technology and where we’ll be in a few years. Doug also addresses how AI and ML contribute to dynamic system planning, which stands in stark contrast to traditional static system planning.
Plus, Reese Tisdale, President of Bluefield Research, discusses market dynamics for public private partnerships with American Water’s sale of its O&M portfolio to Veolia and more on this week’s Bluefield on Tap segment.
In this session, you’ll learn about:
- The distinction between digitized information and digitalized information
- The meaning of digitalization of water utilities
- Smart water versus asset management
- Steps to take a utility from traditional asset management to digitialized asset management
- Where most utilities are on the adoption scale
- Doug’s opinion on when AI and machine learning will be fully integrated into water utilities
- The impact of AI and machine learning on the labor force
- How AI and machine learning enable dynamic master planning in contrast with static master planning
Resources and links mentioned in or relevant to this session include:
- Fracta’s Website
- Doug’s LinkedIn Page
- Doug’s Twitter Handle = @DougHatler
- Fracta’s Twitter Handle = @FractaInc
- TWV #031: Accelerating Innovation in the Water Space with Chris Peacock
- TWV #068: Speeding Technology Adoption Among Utilities with FATHOM CEO Trevor Hill
- TWV #119: Ensuring Technology Access and Resilience in the Field with David Dolphin
Thanks to each of you for listening and spreading the word about The Water Values Podcast! Keep the emails coming and please rate and review The Water Values Podcast on iTunes and Stitcher if you haven’t done so already. And don’t forget to tell your friends about the podcast and whatever you do, don’t forget to join The Water Values mailing list!